Aug 1, 2006

The Starfish

One summer day I went out walking along a strand of beach
Where hundreds of starfish were stranded beyond tide's reach
As I strolled along the sands a kindly lady passed by me
Throwing stranded, struggling starfish back into the shiny sea.
I asked "Why do you do this when you can only saveT
hose few lucky starfish you throw back into the waves,
Why do you even bother, since most of them will die?
Does it really matter that much?"
I asked and she replied:
"I cannot save all the starfish, many of them die, I know,
With so many more miles of sandy seashore still to go,
But for every single starfish saved from the killing sun,I think it matters, yes it matters.
It matters to this one."

1 comment:

Carin said...

very powerful Ruthie... really gives perspective - it matters to this one... I am so glad that even if I was just one, I mattered... how many more need to know that they matter...wow... thanks for sharing the story!