Nov 3, 2008

Resolutions



Well, with the festive christmas season upon us, I am faced again with the daunting
New Years Resolutions.
There are a few that I have stuck with, but many (like you all, I'm sure) that I haven't.
Usually, my resolutions look something like this:

1. Will lose weight
2. Will exercise 1 hr. per day
3. Will be confident in a swimsuit by Summer
4. Will lose weight
5. Will not eat any sugar, carbs, bad fats, salt, red meat, chocolate, white flour, etc...

These lists usually make it to about the afternoon of January 2nd and then I am left defeated, discouraged and I jump back into the old life with guilt, failure & an awareness of my inablity to change on my own.

This year, I want to change that. I want to make choices that will encourage me to make a difference. In me, in my life, as a human being & a member of my community. I've decided to approach it a little differently. Instead of making it the rule to have everything
begin January 1st, I'm making a sort-of bucket list (if you haven't seen the film, you should).
Its more like Goals for the year, instead of changes from the start.
So here are some ideas I have for my resolutions. But I would really like to have your opinions about these things. If you have thoughts about these or you have made these changes yourself, let me know how hard or easy it was to make the change.

1. Get rid of all chemical cleaners and replace them with natural or homemade cleaners
2. Toss the plastic bags & use only reusable grocery bags
3. Recycle
4. Use essential oils as much as possible for medicinal purposes (maybe not replace medicine enitrely, but cut down use considerably)
5. Learn about finances (budgeting, mortgages, etc...) so to not be completely clueless!!
6. Pursue home buying & adoption, furthering our understanding
& knowledge of all that it entails.
7. Make a career plan & pursue online college courses!! OY!


Those are my first 7...I thought I'd start smaller-ish. These things are important to me. Yes, there are no resolutions that deal with my weight, appearance or anything like that. Those may come as I try to tackle once again issues that I'm very aware of, but we will see.

If you know any good sources, websites, books, etc... that have helped you with any of these things, please let me know. I want to be as informed as possible! :)

p.s. though this is not an official tag...i would really love to hear yours!!!!

3 comments:

J.G. said...

Please Please Please...come to my Norwex party...that can begin a trassition for chemical free cleaning(even if you buy NOTHING, book a party from me so you can get all your friends to come to yours and you get free stuff) I am confindent I have some wisdom on this subject :) I use almost NO chemicals in my house. And there are definitely certain ones to avoid altogether at all cost. Come for a visit and learn learn learn :)

As far as your other resolutions go...finances, organization stuff like that I am clueless ;)

Jenny said...

Great list!
My priority is still the weight loss. After seeing how poor my dad's health was it is something I need to do for myself and my family.
We recycle, but I still use the harmful chemicals. (ughhh)...I love the smell of a clean house!!LOL...I know Gwen's shaking her head at me!!!
I am pretty good at stretching a dollar if I can say so myself and sticking to a budget...the best way to get started is start by keeping track of every single purchase you make and using CASH for everything!
:)

Gwen said...

It's taken me this long to bring myself to comment after Jenny's appalling words. ;) Because we all know that clean =/= lemon fragrance. I still am a happy believer in Shaklee products, and I wish I got paid for all the endorsing I do for them. :D

Good list, Ruth. I like the healthy theme, rather than the I-hate-myself-as-I-am theme that seems to be so popular. (with me as well.)