Dec 30, 2008

Discipline

So, a few of you have said you'd like the non condensed version of my battle lately. So here it is.
I lack discipline. In almost every area. I struggle with committing to something and following it though.
If its a struggle or takes determination, I fizzle out. I despise this about myself. This is the thing that was brought to me & I responded badly. I want to change this about myself. In weight loss, I want to have the guts to stick it out to see results. In my job, I want to finish what I start. I really don't know why I'm like this. Maybe its partial insecurity, but I refuse to lay blame anymore. This is something that cannot have a place in my life. I am tired of giving up, selling short & never crossing the finish line. I want results. I want accomplishment. I want success.
It is an unphill battle. But, I am getting up for the 1,000th time, brushing off the dirt and starting over. I can't change the past, but I can keep moving forward. Today is great for new beginnings. And so is tomorrow. He is faithful enough to pick me up, shake off the dust, speak life to me & push me on.

'Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.'- Hebrews 12:1

'Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training...Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. '- 1 Corinthians 9:25-28

p.s. As for the gym, what an experience. I was on the elliptical beside a 20 lb woman who had 1 drop of sweat the whole time. What came over me, I don't know, but I decided that I should be going her speed, so I did...for 10 minutes. When I got off, the room started to spin & my legs gave out from under me. A little embarassing. Why the heck was I trying to be like her? The common problem in women today. Arg! Anyways, I was better after a few minutes, and went on to use the other equipment, which I did pretty good on, thanks to my sister getting in my face (she is a lot like Jillian, actually). We then had a sauna...so NICE!!
It was a good first time, i think. Time will tell. The crappy thing is having to be cautious of my back. My doctor wasn't thrilled about me going to a gym. He wanted me to go swimming instead. So after January, I'm going to re-assess the situation. What I might do is switch every month. One month at the pool, one month at the gym. We'll see. I'm also doing the DDR 3 times a week & Turbo Jam 3 times a week. Pray for me!!! :)

6 comments:

Christy said...

You can do it Ruth! I am in the same battle right now...it's a battle for our lives really! And I am sure it won't get any easier. It is totally an uphill battle but can you imagine not doing it without God?

I love that picture!!! So cool!

Praying for you! And willing to support you in any way that i can!

Lynnie Ha said...

great job! hey, i once overdid it at the gym (on a stair climber)... my legs buckled, i passed out, and peed all over the gym floor!!! now *that* was embarrasing!!!! lol. just don't over-do it, k? overtraining, too much too soon, can be as bad as not starting. ... which is prolly why i never start - i tend to over-do it..... so good on ya for startin!!!! :D

i'm glad you seem to have been able to take the correction and, instead of it being a discouraging thing, have turned it into positive action. cool. :)

Jenny said...

I suffer with the same lack of discipline. I do super well then when I'm seeing results I tend to go into sabotage mode. For me, it's a self worth issue.
I think the most important thing is to be honest with ourselves and realistic in our goals. I have learned that I don't look too far into the long term, instead I focus on short term goals. I do week to week, and set attainable goals. I've also learned that I don't work well under duress or emotions.
Just know that we all struggle with similar issues and fears. You have a great support network and I know that you'll be able to tackle your goals. Remember that there will be days where you'll feel discouraged or you won't reach a targeted expectation. In these instances, you just have to push through with determination and perseverance.
We're right there with you.
BTW, they aquafit program would probably be really good for your back. If you get a doctor's referral you get the swim pass free!!

Anonymous said...

Way to go girl!! I too have the very same problem with my weight and my health. When I do go to the gym I HATE it. lol That's why I don't go. I can't stand it. lol So I applaud you for your efforts and encourage you to keep up the awesome work. :) Luv ya and praying for you! :)

starla said...

You are more than a conqueror in Christ!!! Love you and thanks for sharing this battle with us!!

Jenny said...

Hey Ruth, how are the workouts going?
I'm off to go buy my gym pass...maybe I'll see you there this week!
Have a great week!
:)