Dec 8, 2009

Have you ever thought that you wanted something so bad that you thought you would die if you couldn't have it. Or that you were somehow overlooked.

Thats how I've been most of my marriage. I thought that if I didn't get pregnant that somehow I would cease to exist. That the right of passage into real womanhood was conceiving and having a perfect little family!

I was very, very wrong.

This is one of the most difficult posts I have ever written.

I'm struggling even now to put words together.

Please bear with me....

I have been selfish & completely consumed with getting my own way. I have shook my fist at God so many times, that I am embarrassed to put a number down. I have walked around with the attitude that somehow God owed me something. And then when it didn't happen, I searched every part of my life to find the thing that God was punishing me for. I have become severely insecure about having a baby. I have grieved at others joy. I have felt jealousy, anger, bitterness & hopelessness. I have walked around in this little bubble and caused all who love me to feel they need to walk with trepidation for fear of me becoming a hysterical mess. I have cared more about my own feelings, than of everyones around me.

I am ashamed.

I am so sorry to you who've treaded lightly in telling me or not rejoiced in front of me because of being pregnant or wanting a baby.
I am so sorry to you who've come to encourage me, and I have secretly been offended with you.
I am so sorry that I have held resentment against so many people who have just wanted to love me through this time.

"...all things work together for good."

We are walking through a dark, lonely, & frightening valley right now that is infinitely harder than infertility has ever been. It seems to choke the life from our bodies, to suck the air from our lungs & when we begin to stand, it beats us within an inch of death. God has a plan, but right now, we cannot see it.

"
...faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."

Today I told God (more than once), 'I would give up my womb forever if you would....'

But, again, my view of God is wrong. Maybe somehow I can make a sacrafice that would make Him change His mind?

I am, because He is! He is the God of promises, of miracles! He is the God who is faithful when I am not, forgives when I don't, heals when I don't deserve it & made the only sacrafice that was needed. I am whole, not because I may someday be a mother, not because I can gain His acceptance and be shown favor because of my great achievements. Not because I have anything worth saving, but because I am HIS! He has rescued me from the grave. He has adopted me, redeemed me, changed me & transformed me!

But He is also the God of the valley. He is the God who refines with fire. He crushes so that fragrance will come. When I came to Him, He promised to not leave me the way I was. And now, I question His work.

"...
Does the clay say to the potter, 'What are you making?' "

I don't know why its so hard to trust Him. You'd think surrendering to an omnipotent, omniscient God would be easier. Yet, here I am with a death grip on the reins.

"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers,
They will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaz
e...For I am the LORD, your God"

I can walk wherever He leads. Not because I have what it takes. But because He is all I need!

Even as I wrote this, a verse that a beautiful friend shared with us rang again in my heart,

"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
"-1 Corinthians 4:18

Thanks for reading, thanks for loving me through my ups and downs, through my craziness, valleys & mountain tops. And most of all, thanks for pointing me to the One who gets me better than anyone!

9 comments:

Gwen said...

Wow, this is a doozie.

1. I'm amazed and humbled at your honesty. This is a post I could / would never have written. I admire your willingness to be totally honest and transparent.

2. No matter what valley you're walking through right now, God is faithful. He's a good God. He's trustworthy.

3. You're always in my prayers; not only as one of my spiritual leaders, but also as a friend whom I love.

Carin said...

tears... Ruthie you are such an amazing woman of God... your post today sounded as if it could be pulled right out of psalms...I love you and treasure your heart... on the mountaintops and in the valleys...

Jenny said...

beautiful, honest, authentic post. Thanks so much for sharing.
Praying for you.
With love

Shan said...

Jeepers...that post hits like a tonne of bricks.

Be confident of this: that He who has begun a good work in you will carry it on to completion in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Right now He's probably doing a touchdown-style dance of joy over this post.

XOXO

Tanya said...

Ruth...I love you!

I could say a million things...but I won't...I'll just say a few.

God is going to bless you in all of this, I'm not sure how or when, but I think you'll know it when he does!

The courage it took you to write this for everyone to read...amazing! Good for you for speaking your mind, and for being so humble and vunerable!

I am so proud of you! God has something big planned for you...I just know it!

(((HUGS)))

Christy said...

Wow! You are an inpiration Ruth!

starla said...

We love you guys so very much!!! We are here for you no matter how rough it gets and our distance doesn't diminish our prayers for you guys! Everytime we are together i can smell the sweet fragrance of roses stronger and stronger!!

Unknown said...

I love you Ruth!

Lynnie Ha said...

beautiful post, hun. <3 you......